.

                   This blog is to track the things Emily says that I find notable
                       - they may be funny, sweet, surprising, etc.
                   Mostly, they are things I want to remember and let her read when she is older.          

Monday, August 27, 2012

August 27, 2012

Today we got two balloons at the store.  Poppee always said, "balloons make people nutty!" and I agree.  This afternoon the balloons were making you too nutty and I took them away from you.

After nap you asked for your balloon.  I reminded you that it was no longer available to you and you wanted to know when it would be.  Moments later you were tiptoeing into my bedroom (where the balloons were) and said, "I'm going to go touch the balloons" with a big smile on your face.  I told you that you wouldn't want to have the consequence from that action.  This, of course, led to a discussion about consequences and you said, "I am going to go and touch the balloons so I can see what a consequence is."  Trying not to laugh or even smile, I listed some possible consequences that you would face and you said, "I want to have time out."  You had thought about it and out of those consequences you chose a time out.  Touching the balloon again was worth a time out to you.

Oh my.

Time passed and you continued to talk about the balloons.  You told me that you were going to go and get a balloon and bring it out and I could see if you were in control while having the balloon.

Lots of balloon talk followed.

Then, a short time later you were playing around and said, "make yourself at home."  I think you were talking to a grape.  But that doesn't matter - I was interested in your use of that phrase and where you had heard it.  You told me that it was in a book and Ariel says it.  I then told you what it means.  (Basically, I said something about how you say it to someone to welcome them.  That it means that they should come in and get comfortable.  That they should treat your home like it is their home and they can do whatever they want.)

You said to me, "Mama, say, make yourself at home."  So I did.  Then you said to me, "Oh good!  I get to do whatever I want!"

Let me guess... balloons?!  Oh how you make me laugh! 

No comments:

Post a Comment